Friday, September 8, 2017

Setting Out

   "There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there.
The other is to walk round the whole world till we come back to the same place."
 __G.K. Chesterton


"Wake up, Kenny. We're in No Man's Land"
__ my grandfather, Oscar Harz


"Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to a 'possum that it could be done."
__Anonymous Wisdom disguised as a Joke


In any case, I came this far (Bloomington, Indiana) in order to keep an appointment with my dentist. That it has taken me nearly seventy-five years to get here occurred to me around three o'clock in the morning and kept me awake for nearly two hours, which was as long as I could productively ponder the matter before drifting back into Slumberland - where everything is possible and neither requires any explanation nor a passport to cross its borders. Seventy-five years seems to me a long time to get anywhere at all, though it is a mere drop in the cosmological bucket, but memory of the outset of the journey is not as clear as it once was. And, as I began today's notes, "in any case, I came this far" and here I am again.







No comments:

Post a Comment